View Single Post
eskielover
Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Oct 2004
14.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 28, 2009 at 02:29 PM

I know this might sound crazy, but I have found that the best way to get over guys who aren't worth wasting our time on is to realize that we don't need guys for our self worth.

Years ago when I was in college & dating (back in the dark ages 33+ years ago...lol) I would date guys & then it wouldn't work out & try someone else,,,,,a never ending cycle.

It wasn't until I decided to make sure I was ok with myself & that I didn't need to have anyone in my life for me to be happy.....to make sure I could take care of myself without needing anyone to take care of me. Only then when I was ok enough with myself was I really strong enough to allow anyone into my life. My goal was to find a partner who was my equal in all areas of life.

The person I married, I laid this all on the line before getting married & let him know that if is wanted to be part of my life, this was the way it was going to be. Sadly, he didn't understand a word I said & I tolerated him for almost 33 years before I got to the real point where I finally left.

When I left, I have now found that person who I lost when I got married......even though I kept standing up for what I knew was right during my marriage, everything was a fight & it wasn't worth it. I realized in the long run that I really never loved him in the first place because I couldn't respect him nor his values.

There is really no reason (even though we desperately want to be with someone who cares) to put ourselves into relationships that aren't the equal support that is really necessary for a successful relationship. It is better to know the person well before throwing yourself into a relationship & hoping it will work. Give a relationship time to see the real person before giving yourself 100% to the relationship. You have to know yourself....what you are willing to put up with & what you aren't willing to put up with....don't leave it up to them.

Knowing yourself & having your values defined is the first step to having a successful relationship with someone else.

The other important thing I learned was that when a relationship doesn't work.....let go......the other person has let it go & hurting yourself won't achieve anything except misery.

Sounds cold hearted.....maybe......but I have seen the most successful relationships happen when 2 individuals are just that & come together because they want each other not because of need.

Just my 2 cents on relationships from personal experience,
Debbie

Leo's favorite place was in the passenger seat of my truck. We went everywhere together like this.
Leo my soulmate will live in my heart FOREVER Nov 1, 2002 - Dec 16, 2018
eskielover is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote