View Single Post
SWA LUV

Thumbs up Jul 03, 2009 at 07:48 PM

I'm new to this site, & this grabbed my attention! I, too, want to work in the mental health field. I'm in outpatient therapy for anorexia, OCD, I have low self-esteem & anxiety issues, & I have self injured before, too. I'm also on medicine for my OCD. I've been in therapy for a year & a half & I'm doing better, but I don't consider myself recovered. I have an AA in Psychology & a BA in Deaf Services, but want to go back to school & become a research psychologist & put my love of psychology, working with deaf & hard of hearing, & nutrition together. I planned to go back to school this Fall, had enrolled, signed a lease on my apartment, & was really excited. Lately, though, I felt like I wasn't ready like I had been.

Recently, I had my psychologist send a letter to the college & my apartment telling them I will not be there this Fall & why. I need to send a lette, too. I will, though, go back next Spring. I have mixed feelings about postponing school, but think I did the right thing.

I know I need to be recovered first, & it's hard. I think Gayle7 asked some good questions. Even though I plan to research, they're still helpful. I thought of another question-what if I'm working with a patient who becomes violent suddenly? Will I be able to remain calm & get help for this person? I'm not saying that will happen. I remember a time when I threatened self harm in front of my T, & she said, "Do you want me to take you over & have them evaluate you for admission?" I said, "No, no, no!" She told me I'd spend a minimum of 72 hours there & I said, "Three days? I can do that!" It was like it was no big deal to me, but thankfully, she didn't take me over there to have them evaluate me. I actually wanted to self harm again yesterday in front of my T, & she would have taken me over or called security if I had done it. Please don't let my question & experiences scare you.

I wish you well. You'll make it! I think you can do it! I believe working in mental health is a very challenging & rewarding career & it takes a special person & a calling from God.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote