Community Support Team

Member Since Feb 2005
6,304 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 14, 2009 at 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
I have a question about Psychcentral policy and rather than start a new thread I thought it might fit well with the discussion already in progress.

I don't really understand why messages containing suicidal thoughts or suicidal actions are not allowed but messages about cutting and self mutilation is okay.

Obviously if somebody is thinking seriously about suicide it can upset other people but if I am hurting so badly that I am considering suicide then maybe sharing my thoughts could help me get help before it is too late.

For the record I am not suicidal today but I have been in the past and made one attempt twenty years ago. I would like to think that if I were suicidal again that I could share my desperation but that is not allowed here.

I just don't understand why we have a forum dedicated to discussing self harm but discussing the ultimate self harm, suicide, is banned.
Hey Yoda,

I'll try to explain it for you and hopefully my words will make sense.

Cutting and self mutilation are far from the ultimate of taking ones' own life. There is a big difference there.

We do have members here that are feeling suicidal at any given time. If they post that they are feeling that way and what emotions they are going through at the time and looking for support, that is one thing. For a member to post that I'm going to do it xxx and this is how I will do it.....that is against our guidelines.

Our guideline states -
Quote:
Inappropriate Content
  • Messages containing suicidal threats or suicidal actions
A threat would be along the lines of "I'm done, tonight's the night" or "Goodbye cruel world, I won't be back PC".

If you are discussing that you are wondering why you should continue....that leaves the door open for conversation and support. See the difference?

I hope what I have said has helped.....feel free to pm if you have further questions ok?

sabby

Hugs from:
Buffy01

Thanks for this!
amandalouise, Anonymous29402, bluegirl...?, Buffy01, Catherine2, Christina86, deewock60, ExiExi, FooZe, Fuzzybear, knothead, Lexi232, lizardlady, madisgram, Nammu, phoenix7, Samanthagreene, ToeJam