View Single Post
degas

Member Since Jul 2009
Default Jul 29, 2009 at 03:37 PM

It hasn't been long since I realized that avoidant personality is a bad trait. Actually, I thought it cured most things. My childhood background involved moving at least once a year due to no choice of mine. I realize now that this was my parents using avoidance to solve their problems. I was probably one of them because I was a responsibility that they had to shift from place to place for who's own good? Certainly not mine. Anyway, I learned that when you change locales you are offered a brand new beginning, no known history, no preconceptions. A chance to re-invent yourself if you wish to.

In adulthood I still use these avoidant methods. I recently quit my job to avoid confrontations and responsibility. I have simply cut off some friends and siblings because it got so difficult for me to deal with them and withstand their insults and disapprovals. I am just about ready to leave my marriage because I don't like what it has made me become, but now I can't quite disentangle myself from the whole thing. This sometimes, in my most depressed hours, makes me want to run off a cliff to avoid life all together. How do others deal with things that they can't face?
degas is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote