Fox
Free Hug Giver
Chat Leader

Member Since Jul 2009
99 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 05, 2009 at 11:02 AM

It's hard to say online but from what you describe that's the norm for aspergers. (has a brother who has aspergers) http://psychcentral.com/disorders/sx8.htm here's the description of APD. It's more of a fear of rejection and needing to only be around people who are pleased with you. I thrive on praise. If I'm criticized I feel like the person doesn't like me and I try everything I can to avoid that person. Sometimes that's not possible since I work with people who I feel hate me.

What are you saying that makes people laugh? I know with my brother he's an attention seeker and likes to make people laugh though sometimes I can tell he was serious and people are still laughing. I can read him very well just cause we grew up together whereas he comes across as "off" to most people. People tend to laugh even when something isn't funny. My mom laughs if she doesn't hear us or understand what we said instead of asking us to explain or repeat ourselves. Some people do that cause they're too embarrassed since they think they're supposed to know what your talking about when you go over their heads.

Aspergers in itself causes social awkwardness but you do want to try to be in social situations. Whereas with my own experience I won't speak up unless I'm sure there's going to be positive feedback or at least a predictable response that I can deal with. But everyone's different. If you're seeing a T and you're curious about APD you should ask them about it since they see you enough to know what you're really like and not just what you see.
Fox is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote