View Single Post
salukigirl
Magnate

Member Since Oct 2007
2 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 21, 2009 at 11:12 PM

I find myself in the situation that my mother always warned me about. My boyfriend and I have been together about 8 months officially. He has good intentions in that he buys me flowers, does the dishes, he will take my laundry and do it while I'm in class to surprise me etc...

And while he is very sweet and understanding with a lot of things I feel like he is about 5 years behind me maturity wise. Granted he has his own car that he pays on, is about the graduate with his masters degree and has been on his own since he was 18. So looking at it that way he has his stuff together. He isn't a mooch or anything, takes pride in paying for things himself and takes pride in having a steady job and doing well in school.

But sometimes I get this feeling like he will never get out of this goofy stage he is in. Don't get me wrong, I'm goofy too. But it seems like he doesn't understand when it's appropriate and when it's not. I feel like I have to ask him to chill out or calm down a lot because it's like he is bouncing off the walls.

This kind of behavior makes me feel like he might not be a good father or husband (which, by the way, I never thought I would get to the point where that's how I evaluate who I'm dating haha) but at the same time I know a lot of guys with children who say that when it happens, something in them just snaps and magically, like someone waved a wand, they learned how to be an adult.

Is that a myth? Do they ever grow up? I feel like I'm running around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to get my stuff together for graduation while working and doing my own research project and he's just goofing off while I'm trying to seriously talk about something or get his opinion or whatever. Is this one of those things where, if he's like this at 26, he'll be like this forever. Or is 26 too young (for guys at least) to expect that kind of maturity out of them? Is this a lost cause? I love him to death but I don't want to be with a guy that I don't feel would be a good father or husband, if it ever came to that.
salukigirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote