A lonely Loner

Member Since Oct 2008
1,809 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 07, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicated View Post
I feel like I'm defective socially. Not inept per se, more like painfully restrained.

I wasn't always this way. As a young child I was outgoing with and liked by my peers, but by the 3rd grade, I was about the least popular kid at school. When choosing teams for kickball, they would pick the mentally retarded kids before they picked me. It seemed I could do or say nothing right, and the only way I could defend myself from my classmates' constant tormenting was to keep my mouth shut and hide. This went on for about seven years, and I suppose it is expected that these experiences might leave me somewhat socially scarred.

Now I am 25. I am intelligent and generally successful, and acquaintances sometimes randomly approach me to tell me how much they admire things about me, yet I have never had a boyfriend, and I have never been kissed. I have a lot of friendly acquaintances and a few closer friends, but I feel like I don't really trust them. I feel an emotional separation from them like I can't throw my heart into the relationship entirely. I'll tell people sensitive things about me, but it comes out as nothing more than facts, when I feel that there ought to be some deeper meaning there. I also struggle greatly to make new friends. I can hold a pleasant conversation with someone, but inside I'm absolutely dying to run away because I feel like their interest is insincere or like I'm bound to screw it up somehow. It's very uncomfortable.

Group situations are very difficult for me. Events like mixers are particularly painful, and unless a very active effort is made to include me, or unless I feel like I have one of my better friends to cling to, I usually get anxious and overwhelmed (and possibly burst into tears) and leave. I really really really want to be able to mingle and have a good time like everyone else, but I just can't do it. I'm afraid I'll say something dumb or at least awkward. I don't even bother going to dances any more or attempting to dance because I can't bear the thought that someone might be laughing at my appearance (body image issues...) or my incompetence. Same applies for other activities where I don't feel skilled.

I flamed out of a music performance major partially because of undiagnosed ADD which prevented me from practicing for hours at a time, and partially because the constant evaluation and criticism of my playing was almost more than I could bear. I'm now pursuing a career as a Physician Assistant, but the evaluations of my faculty and preceptors terrify me. More than once, I have burst into tears when being graded after a practical exam. I think the career would be an okay fit for me, except I fear that patients or supervising physicians will reject me or berate me, despite my best efforts. It's bound to happen.

However, despite my great inhibitions, I'm not sure if, at the core, I really feel that I am inadequate or inferior as a person. Although I tend to be extremely self-critical, on the whole I actually do think that I am worthy of being liked (usually), but that there is some crippling barrier that prevents me from having and experiencing the meaningful relationships that I deeply desire. It has to be my fault. I always feel this insurmountable wall that ultimately keeps me separate. Protected, but pathetically alone. I can't tell you how much I want to know what it's like to love and be loved in a romantic relationship, or to have a best friend who I can talk to and hang out with and feel completely at ease, without fear of judgment or scrutiny. Pardon the use of the term, but I feel like a relationship retard.

I mentioned the avoidant personality disorder idea to a prior therapist, and he quickly shot it down without really exploring the issue. In my mind, there is obviously a problem here - the fundamental issue of wanting meaningful relationships, but feeling incapable of attaining them. The desire for positive social and other interactions, but being sabotaged by fears of judgment or rejection. Great reluctance to try new, potentially embarrassing things for fear of getting laughed at. The inability to tolerate appropriate criticism. I mean, is this normal? Is it really normal for a 25-year-old to be not only a virgin, but to have never had a boyfriend and never been kissed?

I guess I don't know what to make of myself. It sounds a lot like AvPD to me... is that what it sounds like to you, or is this just social anxiety? Does it even matter what it really is? I just know I don't want to live this way, if it can be helped.

If others reading this have had similar struggles and found effective help, what did you do? CBT? Self-help? I feel like there is an entire dimension to life that I have never experienced. Help me get there. Please.

Thank you in advance.
Personality disorder is a complex business and not at all straightforward to diagnose, especially in oneself because it is difficult to be objective. You may just be suffering from social phobia or anxiety or there may be a combination of issues. Avoidant personality disorder can occur in conjunction with other social phobias, mood and anxiety disorders, and personality disorders. The diagnosis may be complicated by the fact that avoidant personality disorder may be either the cause or result of other mood and anxiety disorders.
Lots of people have avoidant traits, but it doesn't necessarily mean they have a diagnosable disorder and you really need to request a professional assessment in relation to discussing with a clinician what it is that you would like to change, if you do want to change.
Whether it is avoidant personality or social anxiety disorder, the best and only thing to do about it, along with psychotherapy (and CBT is best for me but everyone is different ), is to slowly and gradually put yourself into social situations, even if only briefly
and in my opinion u should start build your self esteem ...
hope it helps ...

Puffyprue is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Medicated