View Single Post
IndigoRose

Member Since Mar 2010
Default Mar 17, 2010 at 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteriousstar View Post
is this heradatory? do you start as adhd then go to bipolor or schizo? my kids have devloped mental illness and the dr said we wil worry when the time is right.. drives me nutty..
Yes, manic depression/bipolar disorder is hereditary. I speak from personal experience, as I am a fourth generation battling this illness. I've suffered for 25 years.

As a parent, you need to know that more often than not, a child may be diagnosed ADHD and they'll throw several other things into that, be wary if it is not fully explained to you. It may be an accurate diagnosis, but it could also be something else entirely. If a doctor isn't listening to you or your intuition is telling you that the diagnosis might be wrong, seek a second opinion, or a third. Many people have to "shop around" until they find the right doctor(s) who isn't afraid to correctly diagnose, as well as medicate if it is truly necessary.

Bipolar has many facets to it, which is why it sometimes takes years for an accurate diagnosis. Schizophrenia is something else entirely. My recommendiation is to get on-line, do as much research as possible, and always research your doctors ahead of time. I make it a habit to ask a doctor's employees whether or not they would go to him/her if they were faced with the same problem(s). That advice has helped me find people that truly care. Most importantly, communicate to your children that this is not, in any way, their fault. I hope this helps.
IndigoRose is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote