View Single Post
salukigirl
Magnate

Member Since Oct 2007
2 hugs
given
Default Mar 21, 2010 at 02:35 PM

I guess I feel the opposite because I'm only 22? Maybe my opinion will change whenever I have kids but I feel like if my mom would have done that to me I would have just stashed my cell phone somewhere and left anyways. I got a cell phone when I got my license because my dad wanted me to be able to call for help in emergencies.

I guess, I know I did a lot of stupid stuff when I was a teenager but if you look at the stats, most abuse/kidnappings/rape happen between people that already know each other. Most kids are not in danger of being snatched up by a random person. It's something like 80% of girls who are raped are raped by someone they know so I just don't see complete strangers as a threat. And I grew up in Dayton and Cincinnati. I guess I just feel like it would make more sense to have your child take a self defense class than track their phone? I took one and am quite confident that if someone tried to attack me I could fend them off to at least get away. My dad has always been very pro-freedom and rather just teach me how to defend myself so I guess I don't see the point.

Good points from everyone though. It's always interesting for me to see the complete opposite side of my thoughts.
salukigirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
perpetuallysad