Member Since Nov 2008
1,345 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 14, 2010 at 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehouse View Post
Googley,

This reminds me of what a friend of mine in AA keeps telling me. "whatever your opinion is of yourself, it's wrong". ........It's hard for me to hang onto any "you're okay" messages about myself. But I CAN hang on to "whatever your opinion is of yourself, it's wrong". I am willing to believe that I am wrong, but I don't have to know what's "right" yet. I can just be open to being wrong for right now.

I don't advocate rose colored glasses, and I have my reservations about the idea of "unconditional positive regard" from T or anyone else, but this statement [whatever your opinion is of yourself, it's wrong] just drives me buggy. Look here:

** Starting therapy, I see myself as X.
I am wrong.

** 2.5 years into therapy: I am beginning to understand that I might not be totally X.
But - I am wrong.

** some day: After going through FIRE, I have finally come to understand that I am Y.
But......I am wrong.

no..... I can't handle it .....
Tree can you help me understand, SURELY this is just a cutesy saying and isn't what your friend really meant?! If there is no such thing as self knowledge, then what the **** am I putting myself through all this for ?!
sittingatwatersedge is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
googley