View Single Post
EJ711
Grand Magnate

Member Since Nov 2005
PC PoohBah!
Heart May 06, 2010 at 10:55 PM

Martina,

My husband is a spendthrift too. I have just recently -- in the past 2 - 3 years been able to rein him in.

From communications with two close friends, I finally realized that I have been letting him bully me into bad decisions for my entire married life. With the help of my two friends I have finally figured how to back him into a corner for a change.

My advice is stand up now. It is empowering. I would just cancel the items you don't need. Just tell him sorry, you needed some peace of mind, and you had the best interest of your relationship in mind by taking these actions.

EJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
We are up to our eyeballs in debt - nearly $75,000. Just making the minimums, and barely making life expenses, we break even on a recent budget....down to 30 cents.

Yet every item I ask my husband if we can cut, he refuses. Newspaper, nope. Cable, nope. He won't let me sell my car and buy a beater using cash from savings.

He is giving me absolutely NO ideas on how we can get out of debt any faster and get more wiggle room in the budget for any crisis. There's no room in the budget for unexpected bills, not even for Christmas.

How do I get my husband to wake up and realize that this is serious? I am NOT going to get a better job, period. Yes, I am underpaid, but that's it. It's not going to change. I'm a CPA with a partial MBA and 8 years experience...making $12.75 an hour. But that's what happens when you have a mental breakdown, get fired for being crazy, sit on unemployment for 9 months, and the economy is shot to heck and this is all you can find. We have to live with what we have. Not what we HAD.

And the even funnier part is, he keeps complaining that he wants to go on a vacation. He's burned out at work, and he has accrued over 4 MONTHS of vacation time at work (it was his 2nd job for several years, he would only take vacation pay at his main job, and they let it just keep accruing). How in the heck are we going to pay for a vacation??????????
EJ711 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote