View Single Post
Martina
Veteran Member

Member Since Dec 2008
Default May 15, 2010 at 07:59 PM

Insurance up until 2009 was a $20 copay per session - pretty manageable. And when I wound up in the hospital, I hit all my out-of-pocket maximums that year, and we were able to get 0% interest payment plans from both hospitals (the ER and the inpatient psych hospital). I am still paying on those. The smaller one will be paid off in about August, the ER bill still has a $2,000 balance.

January 2010, insurance changed so we have to meet our deductibles before they pay a penny. And not only that, but I got a new job, and my new insurance kicked in in April. So just about when I was meeting my husband's deductible in March....I started all over again in April with a brand-new deductible on a new insurance plan.

My psych nurse's rates - what I pay on the deductible - are $135/session. Since I'm somewhat stable now, we've cut back to once a month or about once every 6 weeks, just to save money. She also allows me to pay what I can afford. I was doing pretty good keeping current....but just this month, the bill was $135, and I could only pay $20. But she says she's okay with that.

I will have to switch providers soon, as she is not in-network. I'm seeing her now because it's still 100% to see her for deductible anyways.

After I meet my deductible it will be 20%. I talked to the new psychiatrist and social worker I will be switching to, and their rates are much lower anyways. The psychiatrist will then be $17/session, therapist $18/session after insurance. Initial appointment with the psychiatrst will be $50.

The other reason I'm waiting to switch is so I can meet my deductible with my current psych nurse...and she'll let me make payment arrangements on it. A new person may not do that!

I don't understand why it can't just be a $20 copay like it is to see a regular doctor for a medical purpose. Whatever.

Oh, and for meds - I am fortunate to have excellent prescription drug insurance coverage for MOST of my meds, except for one. Invega is SOOOO expensive! Even after insurance it's like $200-$300 a month! So for now, I get free samples. But sometimes they run out of free samples, and it's really scary. And I have no idea if the new psychiatrist gets samples, or if he will give them to me or not. That really scares me, because we have tried cheaper alternatives and they just did not work for me. I went manic within DAYS of switching. And I really don't want some of the other alternatives that cause weight gain...I have worked so damn hard to lose this weight, I will NOT let another med make me gain it back again. (I gained 60 pounds on Zyprexa a while ago)

Martina is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
MickeyCheeky

Thanks for this!
MickeyCheeky