View Single Post
perpetuallysad
Grand Poohbah

Member Since Sep 2007
PC PoohBah!
Default May 19, 2010 at 12:19 PM

I cannot find anything that calls this sort of behavior a disorder. My first thought was personification, as in literature - usually used in metaphors. But I remember, somewhere in the back of my mind something about a sort of "condition" (not really condition, but I cannot think of a better word) where people will give inanimate objects human characteristics, this being done more in real life than as a literary device. SO, I found this description:
Quote:
The pathetic fallacy or anthropomorphic fallacy is the treatment of inanimate objects as if they had human feelings, thought, or sensations.[1] The pathetic fallacy is a special case of the fallacy of reification. The word 'pathetic' in this use is related to 'empathy' (capability of feeling), and is not pejorative.
from wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathetic_fallacy

"School is shortened, discipline relaxed, philosophies, histories, languages dropped, English and spelling gradually gradually neglected, finally almost completely ignored. Life is immediate, the job counts, pleasure lies all about after work. Why learn anything save pressing buttons, pulling switches, fitting nuts and bolts?" Bradbury, Ray Fahrenheit 451 p 55-56

Thanks for this!
Elysium