Thread: Agoraphobia
View Single Post
michelle421

Member Since Apr 2010
3 hugs
given
Default May 22, 2010 at 02:52 PM

my partner also struggles with agoraphobia sometimes. i think it has been helpful to find small community places that feel safer and are an easier way to start getting out in the world sometimes. we go to a small co-op right near our place and that has been an amazing community. very welcoming. i know that's not always an option in some areas... but since large grocery stores can certainly be overwhelming and scary, a smaller local place to get groceries has been so helpful. we even volunteer there, and it's a really supportive place.

i think it's also nice to try volunteering. if you find a place that interests you at all, often people are really happy to meet new people who also like the same things. i also like that with volunteering, you are offering to help in some way you can. i think every person has something to share. and it's ok not to share much at first. it's ok to stop volunteering if it's too much. any help you do give is appreciated and i think that's a nice feeling. but... maybe that's farther down the road. don't rush into things that make you too uncomfortable. but challenging yourself a little will be important to encourage growth and healing.

we also live in mn, which is pretty dark during half of the year. i can't imagine how much more intense that darkness would be in alaska. i agree with Grithnir, a SAD light / full spectrum light can be very helpful. we use one over the winter, and just have it on a lot, especially in the mornings because it can help jump start the day and give a little extra energy. i think it's definitely something that would be helpful if you are spending a lot of time inside... you're missing out on sunlight. the light we see/take in during the day does have an impact on our mood and well being.
michelle421 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote