Legendary

Member Since Jan 2007
106 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 23, 2010 at 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perna View Post
Insurance for mental health issues has trouble sort of like for dental; only people who need it are in the group so it's not really "insurance".
My insurance doesn't work that way. Mental and physical problems are covered under Medical Insurance. All people who sign up for the plan become part of the group, whether or not they have mental or physical problems. Same with Dental Insurance. When you sign up for the dental insurance plan, you get coverage whether you need it (have dental problems) or not (require only check-ups and cleanings). I'm not sure why you think a person would sign up for dental insurance only if they needed it. Then they wouldn't be covered for their routine care or potential future problems.

QueenAccountant, thanks for posting the mental health exclusions from your plan. That's something along the lines of what I had expected, that conditions "that are not subject to favorable modification or management" are not reimbursable. That's very similar to what I am facing with my TMJ disorder. There is no agreed upon treatment that consistently works, so they won't reimburse for any expenses or treatment related to the condition. I do find this inconsistent, as others have posted, with chronic diseases and fatal ones too, such as certain cancers. But yeah, we better not squawk about this inconsistency in their logic, so coverage for fatal and incurable conditions isn't lost too.