pachyderm
Legendary

Member Since Jun 2007
2,857 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 27, 2010 at 07:53 PM

The guidelines say, in this connection:

Pedophiles, rapists, and others that have abused another individual physically, emotionally or sexually (whether imagined, real, acted-upon or not, and/or convicted), are not welcomed here because our focus is on support for victims of such abuse.

I find part of this confusing at best, and I think the evidence is that some others have also. What does "imagined" mean? What does "acted-upon or not" imply? That anyone who has thoughts of harming is unwelcome? Anyone who has had impulses but NOT acted upon them is not welcome?

It seems to me that some of these are pretty hard to define. You could define having been convicted, or being in a legal process concerning issues of abuse, though there could be some question about what being "in a legal process" would mean, I suppose. I can see how this site could reasonably ban people having been convicted of a crime or being in a legal process involving possible conviction, but as written the guidelines do not clearly distinguish (to me) between thoughts and actions, or degree of action reaching the level of possible law violation.

Thou might'st him yet recover
-- Michael Drayton 1562 - 1631