View Single Post
(JD)
Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2003
1,651 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Trig Jun 12, 2010 at 09:51 AM

The definitions are the same. Emotional/Mental/Psychological abuse.
Hugs to any who have suffered terribly from it. (But there is some in each and every family, especially as siblings learn and grow and mature, even if it's nothing more than done out of ignorance.)

The American Medical Association AMA describes Emotional Abuse as: "when a child is regularly threatened, yelled at, humiliated, ignored, blamed or otherwise emotionally mistreated. For example, making fun of a child, calling a child names, and always finding fault are forms of emotional abuse."

The definition is not etched in steel though...as abusers come in all shapes and sizes they also have their own peculiarities as to how to exact their abusive ways. I say this so that you don't become hung up on your exact results not being on any list on any of the various and sundry websites that exist for abuse support. There are also nuances to psychological abuse, for instance, when it reaches into the spiritual realm such as cults utilize.

There is an abundance of methods of abuse. I'm sorry you suffered.

This is a judgment call on the part of the webmaster though, as to how many different types of abuse listed. Right now I can't think of any other issue that would have so many different labels, that if not listed could feel emotionally unsupportive--or cause angst in wishing to make sure any reader know exactly what did or didn't happen to them. I'm sure DocJohn has considered, and may very well again, tweaking the list. He's that kind of doc!

Believe in Him or not --- GOD LOVES YOU!

Want to share your Christian faith? Click HERE
(JD) is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote