View Single Post
Fresia
Wandering soul

Member Since Apr 2010
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 18, 2010 at 10:52 AM

I tried to think some more on this and the things that have helped me with impulsivity.

Some of my email programs have a time delay before messages actually go out which has helped or I save them in drafts first, as someone recommended, and wait until later in the day or the next.

Anything I am worked up over, I definitely HAVE to wait until I can calm down before responding. Because I know I NEVER make wise decisions when worked up, angry or upset, I have found I can always say, "I need to think about this" or "I need to get back to you about .." and if you can give a time when to get back to them or to talk again, they appreciate it; they know you ARE going to think about it. 90% of the time and this works just fine. Very rarely does it need to be decided on in the moment. It has saved me and my personal and professional relationships more times than I can count. I feel better too b/c I have had a chance to calm down and consider it, making a better decision than one I might regret.

The one issue I have no answer on is impulsive shopping. I keep a small pad to list things to go back to, to try to wait it out but this only works some of the time. I'm not good about impulse shopping/purchases.

I struggle with being impulsive too and it is a constant battle. I don't know if these things might help but someone said, when I actually practice them, they help me.
Fresia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote