View Single Post
Indie'sOK
Grand Magnate

Member Since Jun 2009
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 19, 2010 at 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrise View Post
It makes me a little uncomfortable to read this, since I think I am at greater than 50 now. It makes me wonder if am not getting "enough" benefit now, at least according to those statistics. I still feel like I'm getting benefit, and I guess we're all individuals so it's better to go by my own experience than statistics. I guess I have always been slow at things, so maybe I'm just slow at therapy too. My first therapist I saw off and on for 9 months and she commented rather confidently early on that I would not need to see her for more than 15 sessions (an insurance limit). She turned out to be wrong, and I always wondered how she could be so confident without even knowing me or the scope of my problem? I think now that maybe she was reading this same study you cited, Baaku, and just going by statistics when she told me that. My second and current therapist, who I've seen for 3 years, has never tried to put me in the box of the "average client" like that, and I really appreciate it. He's accepting of what my individual needs are.
I agree with you in that I too feel uncomfortable reading this. I've been in therapy for over a year for an anxiety disorder that I've had under control since...last fall I believe? I keep going back and don't feel I deserve it or even need to because I feel under control and, even though I hate the word in this case, "normal". I still see some benefit, though, I guess it just depends on the session and the person.

Indie'sOK is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote