AAAAA
Elder

Member Since Oct 2007
1 hugs
given
Default Jul 13, 2010 at 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyM View Post
I don't either, but the moral issue got me thinking. I wasn't singling you out. In general, parents and grandparents like to boast of their children's development and achievements in life.

I can imagine a scenario of a dinner party with family and friends and the subject of children comes up. One says "My child is a doctor," another "My child is a lawyer." People would generally be impressed and possibly ask for a business card. Would the reception be the same if a parent proudly proclaimed "My child is a prostitute?" Would the parent feel good if all the men in the room asked for their child's business card? How would their wives react if the parent handed their husband a business card?

I'm not singling you out. I'm just in a pondering mood.
Here's some food for thought. One of my daughter's friends is a stripper. Pre-med 4.0. As my daughter toils away six days a week to earn money to sustain her through her college months, this young woman earns more money working Friday and Saturday nights. She has five nights a week to study and prepare for the upcoming year.

Now this is not a field my own daughter would be comfortable with. She put on a bra at 11 and has not been without one since with the exception of bathing. I've preached until I was blue in the face that she should at least give her body a rest while she's sleeping.

In my own opinion, morals are subjective. I think we would all agree that stealing is wrong, but if someone steals food because they are hungry I don't think it makes them a bad person. I don't think a person's career defines their character. It is not unheard of to have an honest prostitute and a dishonest clergy for example.

Thanks for this!
radio_flyer, RomanSunburn