Magnate

Member Since Jan 2010
1,213 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 18, 2010 at 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabi925 View Post
Is hitting a child - after you have tried anything else you could think of and you even WARNED that child that it might happen - with an open hand and not strong, not intended to harm (no visible marks and no physical pain after that moment), a slap that is meant to stop the child doing something wrong (it might be a self injury, angry crises for hours...) an ABUSE when comes from a PARENT?
From my life experience:
In short I don't think what you described is technically abuse however.....

I grew up with parents who spanked and other times the spank would turn into an expression of anger and an open hand turned into a punch or a kick. The relationship I had with my parents was based on fear. That just taught me to not go to them when I needed help. It also taught me to be sneaky.

I do not spank my children however I feel very angry and frustrated sometimes and I'm glad I don't spank them because I know it could lead to something more when dealing with the most frustrating of situations.

Not all kids are the same. A parent could spank child A and child B. Child A could grow up with no worse for wear and child B could have 'problems' (I am very emotionally distant from my parents). To me it's not worth the risk.

My husband and I took a positive parenting class and it has been a huge help. I must say it's easy to fall into the 'yelling' roll of what my mother used to do when she was angry with me as a child (when I'm tired, I lose my mind and forget the steps for positive parenting). I hate living that way.

Hitting a child for discipline sends the message this is how we relate to each other. It doesn't teach them anything by the definition of the word discipline.

Children will give you behaviour that gives them attention. Look for the positive and make a bigger deal than you would if it were a negative behaviour. When you start giving more positive attention vs. negative they will test you and you will get even more bad behaviour from them as they want to see if you can react the 'old way'. Eventually this will pass.

Best of luck! Being a parent is often rewarding and the hardest job on earth!

Peace.

Don't ever mistake
MY SILENCE for ignorance,
MY CALMNESS for acceptance,
MY KINDNESS for weakness.
- unknown
geez is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote