View Single Post
Thomi

Member Since Feb 2007
1 hugs
given
Default Jul 20, 2010 at 11:25 AM

Hi Martina,
I can relate to what you're saying. I have a couple of degrees that are hanging on the wall and I feel awful for not using them. I used to be a Youth & Family Counselor for 6 years before the symptoms of bipolar became so severe I had to go on disability leave and when my leave ran out, I was not well enough to return so I was let go. After a lot of work and time, I felt ready to go back to work and decided to take a job I knew would be more stressful but it also paid better than my last job. I lasted 8 months before my severe symptoms returned and I had to leave that job. I haven't worked since the Fall of 2008. I'm not sorry that I tried, although I am sorry that I became ill again. If I hadn't tried, I would always wonder if I could have done it. Now I know that I cannot work in the social work field and that I need a job with very little stress and pretty stable working hours. It may not pay as well but being ill doesn't pay at all. Of course, that's just my experience, you need to decide for yourself. I truly hope I've contributed something valuable to the already helpful advice. Best of luck in whatever you decide!
Thomi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote