View Single Post
forgivexforget

Member Since Feb 2010
9 hugs
given
Default Jul 20, 2010 at 11:48 PM

This was probably said, but oh well.

For me, hitting a child in anyway is something I will never do. It wasn't pleasant for me, it won't be pleasant for the child. 'Spare the rod spoil the child'? Yeah, I don't think so. I know people who have never gotten hit, and act completely fine, and kids who have gotten hit, act out. There are tests that say spanking will lower the IQ, I'm not sure if this is correct or not.

Hitting a child for hitting someone else is just wrong. You are trying to teach that hitting is wrong, but then you hit the child? That's ridiculous. (Not saying YOU specifically, I'm just saying to anyone in general.)

Not that all of these things are horrible, but spanking can cause so many things. Can cause low self esteem, depression, anxiety, anger, fear, fetishes, confusion, humiliation, and then with those things, others can stem.

Your child could grow up and fear you, resent you, and I'm sure you don't want that to happen. I'm saying they could, not that they will. And again I'm not saying YOU Gabi personally, I'm saying in general.

My parents hitting me left mental scars. I don't know if this is from it, but I also have depression, anxiety, OCD, deal with ED's and self injury, and something else that I won't mention. A few of those things deal with my past so much, that what my parents did make me hate them for it. I have secrets because of it that will never be known.

What I would use, is time outs. Sure, the kid will cry and scream at first, but they'll also do that if you hit them, and a time out isn't hurting them in ANY way. They will eventually calm down and tell you they are sorry. When kids are hit and they say sorry, they say it in fear. Also the idea of taking things away works. TV, computer (only letting them use it for school), toys, etc. That happened as I got older, and I don't have any problems with it.

Spanking can also stay in the kid's mind, and when they become parents, they could have so much anger built up, that they take it out on their own kids. (not saying the will, saying it could happen.)

So, to me, it's abuse. And I don't condone screaming at a child either, or calling names, or telling them that everything's their fault. Basically something that could make their self esteem plummit. You want them to learn, you don't want to hurt them. Abuse is abuse, you have to remember what's right and what's wrong.

One will make it better, one will make it stop.
forgivexforget is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
pachyderm