View Single Post
shezbut
Legendary

Member Since Feb 2009
15.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 26, 2010 at 06:34 PM

I am on disability as well, and that is my only income. You have gotten some great tips so far, perhaps someone will have the wisdom to post all of the tips in the permanent section of this corner.

Personally, I use my debit card every time I gas up. My bank takes $1 out of my checking and puts it into a savings account (I think it's called "Way to Save"). On months that gas is cheaper, and I have a few more dollars, I put $1-5 into my piggy bank. My girls' piggy banks come first.

I do go to the food bank every month to stock up on canned goods, frozen items, breads and any toiletries they may have. I also applied for county assistance and do qualify for "food stamp" assistance. I don't enjoy using it, and feel guilty just about every time I take out the card. Perhaps that goes away with time. I don't know.

A couple other ideas: no cell phone, no cable tv, no computer. None of these are actual necessities in life. I went one year without cable, and couldn't get any channels in. So, we watched VHS tapes and DVD's borrowed from the library. Totally free and no commercials! The only reason I finally added cable into my life is because my phone co charged me $60/month for necessary local & long-distance. Another phone company has a package where I pay $55/month for the phone and basic cable. Guaranteed rate for 6 months. It's recommended that I call back near the 6 month mark, and ask what new bundles they have. (Apparently, they often have bundles that customers don't know about unless they ask. FYI)

I hate not having the computer in my apartment, but that's something I've just had to accept. I use one at the library, or at a friend's when I get the opportunity. That has been the toughest change that I've had to make. Maybe someday, I'll be able to work a little, so I can have a few more bucks to go towards luxuries. This just isn't that time for me.

That's the way I look at it. Best wishes and hugs to you!

"Forgive others not because they deserve forgiveness but because you deserve peace."
- Author Unkown
shezbut is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote