View Single Post
Perna
Pandita-in-training

Member Since Sep 2006
550 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 19, 2010 at 03:15 PM

Just tell T what you want her to know and then stop and resume the way you have been in the past.

If it were my list, I'd rank it like this and say:

1. My son is in Okinawa and North Korea is threatening to blow Okinawa up. That really frightens me and makes me worry about my son!

2. Work sucks! In the last 2 months i have been written up 3 times and suspended once and have had my job reassigned because i had a major panic attack at work and they brought me to hospital. I don't know if I'm angrier at them for having no insight and compassion or at me for feeling bad for being sick.

3. My stepmother is really sick and. . .
(a) I'm afraid she'll die
(b) I'm tired of worrying about what will happen
(c) I'm tired of looking after her
(c) I feel safe with her and if she dies I'll be less safe
(d) I'll be glad when she dies and feel guilty about that
(e) I'm afraid if she dies I'll have to look after my father and I just can't do that

(I don't know your actual feeling word/reason in there, just making up my own possibilities :-) Anything you do say to T, you should include some tiny bit that is about you, one "action" word/emotion (tired, afraid, embarrassed, happy, sad, angry, etc.)

4. I feel like I only feel either angry or afraid and I'd like to learn to recognize the other emotions when I feel them.

5. I have been hurting myself and engaging in what I feel are risky behaviors. I don't want to talk about it yet, I just want you to know.

6. The noise in my head is so loud I can't think, especially in the morning. I'm just constantly worried about EVERYTHING! Do you know of any tricks to teach me to give myself some space in there to help me while I'm doing the slower work of therapy?

7. My ultimate goal for therapy a million miles down the road is that I'd like to be able to just "talk" to you and share what is going on with me, my thoughts and feelings both, while we're together here.