View Single Post
Anonymous29348

Chat Aug 26, 2010 at 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiannonsmoon View Post
Hello Birdcrazy,

What is the difference between SSI & SSDI? I'm not in the US so I wouldn't have a clue. Are you going to go for the SSDI is it a better cover? I don't want to be rude just wondering what the difference is and if you can appeal that decision?

Rhiannon

What I learned was that it all depends on when and how many years you worked. If you didn't work before you applied and got disability, you get SSDI, which is less money because you didn't contribute to the economy. Whereas if you worked for 20 years before you got disability, you contributed to the economy much more, and therefore receive a higher monthly income through SSI. Now if you worked 5 years before receiving disability, you would receive SSI, but probably not at as high a stipend per month as the person who worked 20 years before disability. So, most often, it would be better to receive SSI than SSDI, but either way, it's government aide, and considerable help! Hope that helps to make it clearer! It's awesome you are curious to learn what the U.S. does. What are things like regarding help from the government where you are, Rhiannon? I'd be curious!! Hope you have a great night!

Take care,
~Wildflower88~
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote