View Single Post
Fresia
Wandering soul

Member Since Apr 2010
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 27, 2010 at 09:05 AM

Birdcrazy,
Congratulations on getting through the process and getting assistance. This will be a great relief.

Wildflower88,

When I went through the process of applying and was awarded SSDI and in dealing with the state Medicaid office since for other matters, the OPPOSITE was explained to me. If you have WORKED to contribute towards the benefit, SSDI is awarded and is higher than SSI. SSI is if you do not have enough work experience but qualify for reasons: low income, dependents/ low income, medical illness or disabilities and WITHOUT a work history or enough of one, and is usually less than SSDI.

The Soc Sec office and attorney explained even if you do have the required work history (which I cannot remember what qualifies for it) and meet all of the other requirements, the claims are still denied 96% of the time. It is important to go through the appeal process if this happens.

If Birdcrazy was awarded SSI, instead of SSDI, there was a reason (and the denial should say why or can inquire) but a good sign that qualified for SSI instead, as sometimes cannot qualify for either. The assistance is welcome whichever route it is from.
Fresia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote