View Single Post
Laurie1041

Member Since Sep 2010
Default Sep 24, 2010 at 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larakeziah View Post
I'm not coping too well at the minute. I owe money to everyone and my sick pay barely covers my rent! I guess i'm just pretty down at the minute and things don't look like they will get better any time soon!

I'm fed up with messing up my life but can't think straight enough to fix it!!!
larakeziah,

Do the things that you have control over. Nothing else matters. Owing money will not kill you. I speak from experience from owing creditors over $60,000. I made myself absolutely sick over this and constantly beat myself over the head for being such a screw-up. Beating myself up and saying mean things to myself only made matters worse.

What helped?
I consulted with a bankruptcy attorney for information and support.
I said outloud to myself that there is 'NO DEBTORS PRISON).
I changed my phone number so that I did not have mean collection people calling me. I changed my address from my home to a PO Box so that mail did not come to my home (and lessened the chances of getting served).

What helped most?
I forgave myself. I did a searching and fearless moral inventory and decided that I needed to turn over my finances and my money to my mother (she is my trustee) because I spend recklessly when I am manic.
I started living within my means - I no longer have credit or debit cards.
I learned that self-esteem does not come from a new dress, shoes, etc.

As long as you have enough money to keep a roof over your head, you are OK. This too shall pass - Don't make it worse like I did by beating myself up and imagining myself in jail. I think of all the energy and time I put into making myself anxious over credit card debt. Do you know how many people are in the exact same position as you? Many of us on this forum have gotten ourselves in over our heads. Think about something you can do today. Laurie
Laurie1041 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
larakeziah