View Single Post
KathyM
Elder

Member Since Jun 2007
2,073 hugs
given
Question Sep 30, 2010 at 01:06 PM

My son went to the AT&T store to upgrade his phone. There were quite a few people in the store at the time. A woman was yelling at the clerk over some problem with her bill, demanding that he fix something he didn't have the authority to fix. As she became more rude, she hesitated and asked about his race. She said "Are you Italian?" He said "No." She said "You're MEXICAN aren't you!! G**D****d Mexicans can't do ANYTHING right!" She then proceeded to really talk down to the clerk. The clerk remained calm through the entire ordeal, trying to focus her back onto her bill.

While the woman was verbally brutalizing the clerk, the people in the store just stood by and watched. My son finally walked up to the woman and said "Lady, the problem with your bill has NOTHING to do with him, the color of his skin, OR his nationality."

After she left, my son told the clerk "Dude, that was an AMAZING display of composure." The clerk, also a college student, was very grateful to him. They both knew he would be fired if he dared to defend himself against her hateful attacks.

I'm proud of my son for speaking up to the woman and consoling the clerk afterward. I'm disappointed in the other people present who thought it was funny and remained silent. I'm angry at the woman for her hateful rudeness. I HOPE we cross paths one day. If we do, what do you think I should say and/or do to teach her the basics of humanity?
KathyM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote