View Single Post
Laurie1041

Member Since Sep 2010
Default Oct 04, 2010 at 12:53 AM

I agree with both posters that having an advocate (attorney) is essential when applying for SSI/SSDI. I applied almost 2 years ago as a condition set forth by my personal disability insurer - they recommended a company similar to Bender and Bender by the name of Allsup. I have been denied twice and have appealed both times. About 2 months ago I had what I thought was going to be a hearing before the Administrative Law Judge. He quickly informed my attorney that my hearing would not be held until my attorney filed a brief informing him why I did not go to a mental status exam back in Feb 2008 (I was in the hospital). My brief was accepted and I attended both a mental status exam and a physical exam (?) last month.

My pdoc wrote a fantastic 4 page report following SSA guidelines for affective disorders and this has been submitted along with all my records chronicling an additional 3 hospitalizations this year alone (total of 6 in under 2 years).

I am so hopeful that I won't have to appear before the ALJ again and that he will render a positive decision based on my records and the report from my pdoc. I felt very anxious for the entire week leading up to a hearing that only lasted 5 minutes! What a serious let down that was! Not to mention that I would have to wait a minimum of 2 months to get notice of the appointments for both consultative exams. Who knows when I'll get a notice from the ALJ as to when my new hearing date is??? It could be months!

What really gets me is that I am not asking for "free" money or a free ride. I paid into the system for over 20 years while working as an RN. My life was productive, passionate and creative. I was a good citizen, caring, kind, and compassionate toward others. In my wildest dreams (nightmares), I would never have suspected that I would end up on a 5150 hold and placed into a locked unit with a diagnosis of Bipolar I back in October 2007.

There is nothing fun about life without one's passion, of feeling like you make a difference in other's lives. Staying home, especially on a very strict budget I find to be be very tedious and boring. Probably the worst thing of not being able to work at this time, is the isolation and loneliness.

I even tried going back to work in November 2009 and due to my general feelings of overwhelm and anxiety dealing with very, very ill patients', a patient issue came up and i was investigated and was told that I could resign or be fired. I have never had problems at work before. I was devastated beyond belief.

Anyway, I will keep all posted as to when my hearing ALJ is.

Laurie
Laurie1041 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote