View Single Post
googley
Wise Elder

Member Since Jan 2009
486 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Unhappy Oct 14, 2010 at 01:40 PM

I feel like deciding to go to school where I did (the only place I got in that year,) was the worst decision of my life. I feel like I don't fit in culturally where I am and because of that bump heads with professors and other students. I am from somewhere where people enjoy good natured debate about topics and don't get offended when people disagree over a topic. However, here people seem to think that if you don't agree with another person and express your difference of opinion then it is the end of the world. I come from somewhere that debating is seen as a healthy discussion. I feel like my opinion is not wanted or valued. I know that the department does not value their masters students (I and many other masters students believe they see us as only a way to bring in revenue to the department since the PhD student's are fully funded and we have no funding, but at the same time give the PhD students all the attention and never tell us anything). I wish that I had never moved here for school. I (and other masters students) feel that our needs are not considered and opinions are not wanted in the department. My adviser point blank told me and my friend (who also has him as an adviser) that he did not want us in his lab last year. Even though I discussed on the phone when I was interviewed my desire to work with him as he is the only one in the program that does research on the area I am interested in, There were reports of a professor telling the incoming PhD students that the masters students are not as good as them (even though we all come in w/ the same amount of schooling). It is no wonder that the PhD students act like we are less than them. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And while I did not know this before I came, it is no wonder that 3/4 of the class before us dropped out of the program. Too bad since it is a masters program and not a PhD program, they do not have to report these things.

I wish I had never come. I feel like I am racking up debt for no reason. But I can't just change programs or stop schooling because I need to be able to get a job that can pay off the debt I have accumulated here.
googley is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote