View Single Post
oceansend

Member Since Oct 2010
Default Oct 20, 2010 at 01:04 AM

So I applied for personal health coverage (I was formerly in entertainment and never paid the union dues for benefits and now am no longer working [basically not functional] so am pretty much unemployed and paying out of pocket). I applied online with Blue Cross and picked a basic low-cost plan that would cover meds and co-pays for visits.
When I answered the questions online (to my ''full and complete understanding of the truth'') I was pretty much completely truthful. The only health concern I had really was an MRI report three years ago suggesting surgery on my left shoulder. (And three years apparently was the cut-off) and being as how I never had been diagnosed with any illness nor prescribed any medication by a doctor; so despite a fib about my weight not being under, I was pretty much able to supply an honestly written application as a seemingly very healthy applicant.
However, shortly after this application, I have seen a doctor. Since my ED symptoms have been worsening over the past six months and having experienced a relapse in suicidal symptoms very recently, I went to a doctor for the very first time to discuss these issues. I've since then been put on three different meds, received blood work, and been seen twice by the doctor.
Now flash to this afternoon when Blue Cross calls me for my ''Phone Interview" regarding my application for insurance. Not only are the answers I supplied on the written application no longer applicable, but they are drilling me with even more details to my health which I'm feeling would greatly sabotage my eligibility. Am I taking meds? Was blood work ever suggested? Has surgery been suggested anytime over the past ten years? Are there any concerns regarding serious or mental health issues?Oh holy hell!
So... As is one of the skills mastered by many of us inflicted with an ED, I went into the art of LYING mode. I was the PICTURE of perfect health. However, I'm lying about stuff that's basically on record- like the phantom extra pounds, and obviously lied about being on meds. So if they ask for me to come in for a physical, I'd have some explaining to do about the 48hrs of some pretty hefty weight loss and a quite a substantial load of drugs I'm not actually taking that are floating around in my blood work.
I guess I'm just really nervous about being denied. I have very little money and I am very afraid of getting put off from continuing with treatment. It took so much for me to go into a doctor for the first time. I can't begin to put it into words (but if it helps to describe it what it was, I have starting crying since typing just that last bit). I just know that part of me fights to stay away from getting help. I don't have the money to keep going in to the dr without insurance, though he has been very supportive with samples and reduced fees, I just don't know how long I could milk something like that).
I guess what I'm asking is: how likely is it that I will be caught? And what are the repercussions? What exactly will they find out? Will it just be a higher rate, or will it be hard for me to find insurance anywhere? I don't know if I just made a big mistake and I'm pretty freaked. The nurse on the phone said it would be sent to a (something?) department (don't rembr) and I should hear back in seven days. I just wonder what they'll find out.
Anything anyone knows about this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much.
Oceansend
oceansend is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote