View Single Post
dexter
Grand Magnate

Member Since Dec 2003
53 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 09, 2005 at 12:56 AM

WI I want to repeat what others have said... this is not a reflection on you!

Math programs change over time, and even if they didn't, you can't really be proficient with stuff you don't use daily. I am actually EXCELLENT in calculus... but I haven't used it in several years now and when I see calculus stuff I can't even remember what the symbols mean anymore. Same with programming... I am trying to learn that again and I am picking it up slowly but I have to keep up with it to remember it. If you don't use it, it doesn't really attach to anything "meaningful" in your memory so your memory flushes it to make room for more useful stuff. And I know from knowing you here that your brain is fiilled with TONS of useful stuff, that is, useful to you in your life.

It may be too late for tonight but I used to be good in algebra, if you wanted to post some I might be able to figure out what it is about. I do think it is a good idea to look into hiring a tutor for her. Or talk to the teacher and see what recommendations they have. I doubt they would expect you to be an expert on the particular subject matter, and if they do, then they aren't living in a realistic world. Sure, algebra has its place but not for everyone, jeez.

And I also agree with others... not only is this NOT a reflection on you but the school is grading HER knowledge of algebra, not YOURS... and I firmly believe that parents have to be involved with school but that means setting up a good work environment and encouraging the child... it does NOT mean you have to understand the subject matter for every class, that is the TEACHER'S part of the equation. Just the fact that you are frustrated with this tells us that you are concerned and are doing what you can. But "what you can" is to encourage her to study, make sure she understands the importance of school, etc.

You are a good parent, give yourself credit for caring and putting in the effort. It is your attitude of trying to help that will do the most for her, teaching her by example to work hard and do her best.

-- Dave
-- www.idexter.com
dexter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote