View Single Post
KathyM
Elder

Member Since Jun 2007
2,073 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Heart Nov 02, 2010 at 01:24 PM

I agree it's hard work, but a lot of pleasure. However, it also takes a lot of self-sacrifice and a lifetime commitment to the child - from both parents. Both parents need to make some sort of lifelong commitment to each other for at least for the next 18 years because the child will become your number one priority.

It becomes tricky if/when one of you decide to move onto another relationship or pursue other life goals. The new girlfriend/boyfriend might not be as thrilled about the child or having to interact with an ex on a regular basis. It would be difficult to coordinate care if one of you decide to move out of state, or start a family with someone else.

I know it's early, but I hope you have the ways and means to care for this child without having to rely on social services. It can be extremely difficult for all concerned if social services need to get involved in raising a child.

I say this only because I know how hard it is to be a single mom. Like you, I carefully considered my options. I chose to keep my baby because I was ready for that chapter in my life and had the ways and means to provide for my child without my ex-husband's help (he wasn't reliable enough to bet my child's life on). My son is an adult now, and I've never regretted my decision to keep my baby.

With hard work and dedication, it CAN be done. Congratulations, and I wish you and your child the best.
KathyM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
lonegael, lynn P., Popskid