View Single Post
bfoxy41brown

Member Since Nov 2010
Default Nov 25, 2010 at 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteriousstar View Post
is this heradatory? do you start as adhd then go to bipolor or schizo? my kids have devloped mental illness and the dr said we wil worry when the time is right.. drives me nutty..
I have been bipolar for 17 years (diagnosed and treated with medications). I was born bipolar but was not treated for the illness until I was 23 years old. What I have learned is that it is a mental illness that is genetically passed to us from our parents and their parents. You can break down genetic to genes inherited from our parents and also behaviors we learn from our parents and surroundings. In my opinion IF your kids are properly diagnosed they will keep their diagnoses for life. Mental illnesses are not like the cold or flu. They are not contagious. They do not go away. I do suggest you use a mental health care for the diagnoses and treatment because they deal with nothing but mental illnesses. It takes a lot of research and reading and asking questions. I have read alot and know a lot but I still dont have complete control of my bipolar 1 with mania. Wish you well.