View Single Post
conklinca

Member Since Dec 2003
Default Dec 12, 2003 at 11:32 PM

I respond for three reasons: 1) Nobody else did 2) I wish to express my anger at your inflammatory post 3) I hope that you can be enlightened and change your negative views of people

Firstly, many of us on this site have harmed ourselves in ways like you expressed as being "bizarre" for reasons including the "cry for help" you noted, but also including reasons such as to numb emotional pain and to express through our actions the feelings for which we have no words. Some of us have outwardly expressed the "Hey, look what I did" attitude you write of to mask the inward feelings we often cannot admit to ourselves. Your question of what is wrong with these people therefore comes across as an accusation that there is something awful about every one of us who has ever self mutilated, though you pretend to be understanding of those of us on this discussion board.

Additionally, many cultures of the world across times have used body modification as a form of expression--you can call it the "Look what I did!" attitude if you like--such as the people in Biblical times who used circumcision to show their religious beliefs or jewelry to alter their appearance, much as you probably use nice clothes to say "Look at me!" in certain situations. If you are claiming that the majority of people from the majority of societies from the beginning of time are screwed up, then I would turn your question of what's wrong with these people back toward the person who seems to have the views out of sync with most everyone else.

conklinca is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
AmandaBroken, wearymomof6

Thanks for this!
AmandaBroken, lil.presh, Shangrala, wearymomof6