Legendary

Member Since Jan 2007
106 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Dec 07, 2010 at 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kacey2 View Post
I have been very honest about how I am jealous that t has other clients etc and I have specifically told him that his intimacy with them dilutes his intimacy with me. I am wondering if this was on purpose or was it just inconsiderate of him not to move that chair back to it's original place?
I don't know why the chairs were there in the first place, but I don't think it is inconsiderate of your T to leave the chairs in a certain configuration just because you might possibly react a certain way to them. You are having the feelings--he isn't making you respond that way. It sounds like this is triggering for you, but it is not up to your T to avoid your triggers. Being triggered in therapy is actually good, because then you can work on it immediately--very convenient! My T sometimes leaves stuff from the previous session awry, but I don't believe he consciously does this with me in mind. He just didn't get around to plumping the cushions or rearranging the furniture. Sometimes he will do it as we sit down. It does not bother me. I like when he has been sitting in my chair in his previous session and then I get to sit there.

Kacey2, since you are interested in why the two chairs were so close, here's another possibility. When my T is trying really hard to connect with a client and feels the client needs a stronger presence from him, he will move the chair closer. In some of our hardest sessions, he has sat almost knee to knee with me, facing me in his chair. It helps in such difficult sessions to be closer. It's a technique he uses--nothing wrong with it. Maybe your T uses it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kacey2
I don't care to ask him because I think I would be brushed off about it and would end up feeling stupid. Where he would just deny it or say he didn't recall that.
If I asked my T about something like this at the next session, I'm pretty sure he would not remember it at all. It sounds like if your T did say he forgot, you might not believe him? If he doesn't recall, you could help him out by explaining. Sometimes Ts just forget stuff, but it isn't deliberate. I do think though that if this is important to you, by all means bring it up. I hope your T wouldn't brush you off. What's important to you is just the sort of topic to bring up in therapy. You can get a lot of mileage in therapy out of this sort of thing. Good luck!

Thanks for this!
Kacey2, SenatorPenguin8081