Poohbah

Member Since Jun 2009
210 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 15, 2011 at 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor View Post
I don't talk about things like this to the vast majority of people I have to deal with. In fact, I don't talk much, period. This is at once a symptom of my AvPD and a coping strategy. I'm sure a lot of the people who know me think I'm unfriendly, but I find that (at least for a guy) it's better to be considered cold than to be judged weak. And that's exactly how most people interpret shyness in men. To make it worse, shyness in the ordinary sense is still a step above AvPD. I remember being shy back when I was a teenager but that was a long time ago, and I was better then....

Another issue is that, in my experience, most people don't know (or want to know) anything about psychology. Any actual diagnostic term that goes in their ears is automatically translated into some variation of "weird" or "loser". Educated people seem to be no different from the uneducated in this regard, just less honest about it. Sure they'll give the correct, ritual response when asked directly about tolerance for people with disabilities, but when they're not being put on the spot, their attitudes are identical to everyone else.
Connor, in my experience, I am not going to disagree with anything you have written, except to say that I do not think that most people here at pc judge ( know you were not saying they did. Just wanted you to know my expereince). I have found an occassional person here who no longer wanted to know me once they know the ugly truth. But its the rare occassional person. So here I think you can talk about things here at pc and not be judged, if you want. Or that is my general experience.

I am very ashamed of being AvPD. I do not have a light case of it,as it became further entrenched over the years. Although I do not have the disorders that often go along with it. Its funny how pain of rejection is a sympton of the disorder. And yet the disorder does cause rejection for me. Vicious cycle
sunsetsunrise is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote