View Single Post
salukigirl
Magnate

Member Since Oct 2007
2 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 30, 2011 at 02:29 PM

I have had to learn not to think too far ahead. When I initially started college I was going to go to Ohio University for Journalism. As of now I'm a masters student in Entomology. Can't do much more of a 180 than that. But when I started as a Zoology major I was pre-vet. Then I took one invert class and loved it. Claimed I would NEVER be an entomologist....HA.

Point being....I was so focused on where I wanted to be that I wasn't listening to what was really interesting me and ended up somewhere I never thought in a million years I would be.

If you go into a more generalized program knowing that you want something different but just not sure what....you might be surprised at where your interests take you. Sure you might have a passion for Alzheimer's patients but would this be a good career for you? Sure I still have a passion for helping animals but I could never do it as a profession. In the end...medicine is still a business. And it hurts to look at that side of it bc you want to help everyone, but you just can't. And when I saw that I would have to take animals I knew were being abused, fix them up and hand them right back to their abusers...I knew I couldn't do that. So instead I volunteer with the Humane Society. It lets me give back without having to put myself through the stress of being a vet.

So have you thought of possibly looking into other fulfilling careers while volunteering? I know working with Alzheimer's patients can be very fulfilling but it also has an inevitable ending which can be very depressing and stressful.

I agree with Fresia to possibly job shadow. That's how I changed my mind about being a vet. I shadowed a few vets, assisted in surgeries etc... and just couldn't do it. You might find by shadowing that you have an interest in an area you never thought you would. Just try to be open minded about the whole process.

As for tuition.....there's really no way around that one. I used to be worried but...now I'm 75,000 in debt and who cares. I figure, it's gonna take half my lifetime to pay it back anyways....My last semester as an undergrad I finally got more scholarships than loans and was actually able to pay off some of my loans with my scholarship money. But, in the end, you would be doing something you love and, hopefully, making enough money that the loans shouldn't be too big of a deal. Not to mention (I love Obama) we can't be billed for more than a certain percentage of our monthly income! Woohoo! So even if you get out and can't find a job....you can't be charged out the wazoo for loans.

Good luck in your search!
salukigirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
cutebagaddict08