View Single Post
spiritual_emergency
Grand Poohbah

spiritual_emergency has no updates.

15 yr Member PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 18, 2010 at 04:24 PM

The following may be useful to those who are taking or reducing their medications. It's written by Patrician Deegan, a psychologist who carries a diagnosis of schizophrenia. Dr. Deegan's story presents a useful portrayal of how to successfully use medications in your own recovery, including how to negotiate with your psychiatrist for medication changes. I've included only the bulleted points from her article. For the complete transcipt, click on the source link at the bottom of the quote.

There is also an information package that people can download and print to help guide them through the process of meeting with their psychiatrist or care team, and a chart to help organize medications and your personal response to same.

Quote:

Five Strategys for Reclaiming Your Power During Medication Visits

Meeting with a psychiatrist during "medication appointments" is usually a very disempowering experience. The meetings usually last for 15 or 20 minutes. During the meeting we are expected to answer a few perfunctory questions and to leave with prescriptions for powerful drugs that can dramatically alter the quality of our lives. In these meetings the psychiatrist assumes a position of power and we usually fulfill the expected role of being a quiet, unquestioning, passive patient. Subsequently we will be praised for merely being compliant or scolded / punished if we fail to comply with prescribed medications.

Over the years I have developed a number of strategies for changing the power imbalance during medication meetings with psychiatrists. I would like to share some of these strategies with you.

Strategy #1: Learn to think differently about medication
- There are no magic bullets.
- Medications are only a tool.
- Using medications is not a moral issue.
- Learn to use medications.
- Always use medications and coping strategies.
- Learn about medications.

Strategy #2: Learn to think differently about yourself
- Trust yourself.
- It's your recovery.
- Your questions are important.

Strategy #3: Think differently about psychiatrists
- Most psychiatrists are too busy for our own good.
- Psychiatrists often have conflicting interests.
- Sometimes psychiatrists are wrong.
- Psychiatrists are not experts on everything.

Strategy #4: Prepare to meet with your psychiatrist
- Set your agenda for the meeting.
- Organize your thoughts and concerns.
- Be specific.
- Write your questions down.
- Role-Play.

Strategy #5: Take charge of the meeting
- Bring a note pad and pen to the meeting.
- Tape-record the meeting.
- Announce your agenda at the beginning of the meeting.
- Bring a friend or advocate.

These strategies have worked for me. Together these strategies have helped shift the balance of power between me and the psychiatrist I am working with. Perhaps some of these strategies will make sense to you. I am sure that you will come up with your own strategies as well. What is important is to realize that you can take your power back and become the director of your own recovery and healing.

Source: Reclaiming Your Power During Medication Appointments

~ Kindness is cheap. It's unkindness that always demands the highest price.

Thanks for this!
cptsdwhoa, KelsMustardSeed, scooterb