View Single Post
sunrise
Legendary

Member Since Jan 2007
106 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 18, 2011 at 01:32 PM

I think those are good questions to discuss with your therapist. Seems like it would be easier if your T just raised this topic in session with you and you discussed it in person. Then there is give and take with opportunities to bounce ideas and perceptions off of each other. Plus, the T can offer some guidance--a client is not a mental health professional so doesn't necessarily know what circumstances would signal it might be time for termination. Do you think your therapist doesn't know why you are in therapy? That question doesn't seem to "fit" with a provider who has been seeing you for a while (it's seems more like an intake question). Perhaps she is thinking your goals have changed since you started therapy? That is very, very common. What I ended up working on in therapy was quite different than the reason I came. Until we've been therapy a while, sometimes we don't what know our underlying problems until, just their surface manifestations. So maybe your T is feeling a bit "out to sea" with you and feeling your current work doesn't reflect your previous goals? I hope you two can have a good discussion on this.

Especially on the termination question, I think the T can provide a lot of valuable information based on her experience. I have terminated with two Ts before, and both times I did it ungracefully, and I am not sure if it was a good time or not. I just did it. I guess if I had to answer that question, I would say it is time to end therapy when I am no longer being helped by the therapist. The sessions are no longer helpful.

Good luck!