View Single Post
Seshat
Grand Member

Member Since Mar 2011
619 hugs
given
Question Mar 29, 2011 at 01:15 PM

Hi everyone. I guess this is silly but it has been running through my head for a few days. I'd appreciate your input on this. Drum-roll: my T's Jungian and I'm not. lol.

I clearly remember I didn't even ask him what his approach was or anything in the first session (my bad. Stupid mistake, I guess). I just didn't think of it atm. It came up later on when I told T I'd been reading a few books and articles on couples therapy because I needed answers and I felt it was helping me. (I've kinda mentioned my separation issues in other posts: my "almost BF" left me a few years ago and my parents have been separated for almost a year). One day, T chose the wrong words when he was explaining an archetype. I felt a little bit attacked although I knew T didn't meant to be rude: he's straightforward but tactful at the same time. T immediately noticed and apologized. He said he hadn't made himself clear. I'm aware it was a little misunderstanding so I don't mind. I feel I can trust T and I'm making a lot of progress. We also have similar views on life, so he doesn't treat me as if I were some "overly sensitive freak who is too young to be feeling like that" (which is something most people do. Not that I need them to feel sorry for me, but they make it all worse). I don't feel like I'm dependent on T either. That's what gets me to my appointments, even though the fact that I need therapy doesn't make me jump up and down with joy. I've had significant ruptures with my 2 or 3 previous Ts and, actually, that's the reason why I didn't stick with them.

My main point is I know I'm not a T and I don't pretend to be, but I've studied and read both at school and on my own because I think psychology is interesting (and I carried on to help myself deal with depression and everything related). T knows this and I think it helps me to make the most out of therapy, which is a big deal since I've always had so much trouble opening up. However, I'm more into methods such as logotherapy (I don't mean to be disrespectful of other methods. I just feel that some of them "sync" with me and others don't). I'm a little scared that this difference might be a source of conflict later on and therefore cause a negative impact on my progress. I don't intend to rush anything, but I've had severe depression for a few years (triggered by the above mentioned "almost BF" issue and pre-existing acute stress) and I feel like it does get unbearable at times. I obviously haven't discussed this with T since I don't want him to take offense or something. I'm just worried.

Thanks everyone.

"People say words can't hurt, but that's not true".

"It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere". – Agnes Repplier
Seshat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote