Seshat
Grand Member

Member Since Mar 2011
619 hugs
given
Default Mar 29, 2011 at 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastyearisblank View Post
I agree and yet nobody has ever said "don't over emotionalize" therapy, and I can't help raising a little mental note about that in my mind.

Had to google "logotherapy," the link is below if anyone's interested. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logotherapy It was developed by Victor Frankl, a holocaust survivor. Have you read this book, Seshat "Man's Search For Meaning?" My T had actually recommended it during a depressed period.

It's about how in a lot of ways yes war and famine are real, but if people have a sense of some "deeper meaning" in their lives they don't get depressed. (Could this be a common point between his approach and your T's? The deep/spiritual thing?)
Hi, lastyearisblank. Thanks for replying. I have a relative that suffers from depression as well and she recommended that book. Sadly, I never got around to reading much of it because she ended up needing it for her own therapy. I hope I can borrow it again sometime soon. Well, I'm not a religious person. I'm very respectful of other people's beliefs, though. I do believe the "deeper meaning" has to do with feelings and ethical values. T knows this because he's asked me about it, but I would have told him anyway because it's important. We seem to share core values and that's a relief. That's what's made me stick with him, I guess. I've felt that other T have tried to change my actual personality instead of helping me understand my emotional difficulties (I might be mistaken), and I guess that's were my worries on this issue come from.

"People say words can't hurt, but that's not true".

"It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere". – Agnes Repplier
Seshat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
lastyearisblank