View Single Post
Brighid

Member Since Apr 2011
Default Apr 25, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyjeanne View Post
My T is psychanalytically trained and also a psychiatrist. So she welcomes both negative and positive transference. When talked about it improves our relationship. Maybe not for me in the moment, but I end up understanding my behavior. She actually told me once that if I developed any erotic transference that it was ok to talk about it with her. She is the best T I've ever had. Because I don't have to hide anything from her.

Now, I think transference can be BAD when you have a T who hasn't had advanced training and doesn't either understand it or has their own issues.

My first T was a social worker. No advanced training after his degree. He was manipulative, used my transference and we ended up having a sexual relationship.

I suggest that before exploring your transference, you ask your T about their training. Specifically regarding transference. That way you can make sure when you disclose it you feel that your T is competant and you will be safe.
You were very lucky then to have a T like that! Unsure if my T has had any of that training...I'm fairly certain he has but how do I ask that? LOL Um excuse me Doc..... have you had tranference training? LOL.... then he is SURE to know that I am having that..?? He isn't a psychiatrist he is a psychotherapist is all I know. I will ask him though, because ou are right it would be best. It seems it would be hard to actually have that relationship and then have it end on bad terms because didn't you wind up more confused and stuff? I mean, as much as I have these feelings, I would still rather have him in my life then not... ya know? Thank yu though, you guys are so wise
Brighid is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
hardtimes101