View Single Post
love2drum

Member Since May 2011
Default May 03, 2011 at 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychtech9 View Post
hello everyone,

I would like to know, if anyone who was diagnosed with bipolar I or II disorders has ever had electric-convulsive-therapy? Has it been effective in treating your bipolar illness? Any long-term side-effects such as short-term memory loss?

If you care to share, it will be very helpful to me. I will be ongoing this surgical procedure within a week to 10 days? Any thoughts or comments for me, would be extremely helpful for me!
Psychotech9,

I don't know if this will help you....but my mom back in the 60's had undergone this (or similar) shock treamtments, I don't know that it helped her....she still suffered terribly (she was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, I believe these days she would be diagnosed with Bipolar 1) in any case, she did tell me she had short-term memory loss.....again, I am only recalling what she confided in me approx ten years after her treatment.....and .....wouldn't they be doing these procedures differently/ better now? She was horrified at what they had done, but then she was recalling it from a parnoid's perspective.....
have you gotten, possibly a second opinion or, and I'm guessing you have...done a lot of research on this? All my best to you, keep us posted...
love2drum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote