View Single Post
birdcrazy
Veteran Member

Member Since Sep 2009
Default Jun 12, 2011 at 06:45 PM

Yeah, I'm self-diagnosing, but reading through personality disorders, this one really jumped out at me, here are the characteristics, I wrote my experiences in blue.

Dependent personality disorder is characterized by a pervasive fear that leads to "clinging behavior" and usually manifests itself by early adulthood. It includes a majority of the following symptoms:
  • Has difficulty making everyday decisions without an excessive amount of advice and reassurance from others
I have to talk to at least 10 people probably to make a decision, and still it is hard. But I will admit they are mostly more major decisions rather than everyday.
  • Needs others to assume responsibility for most major areas of his or her life
It's more like I take advice again. Now I'm handling my own money for example, but I wish someone else was doing it for me.
  • Has difficulty expressing disagreement with others because of fear of loss of support or approval
Yes, I will often agree with something I don't truly agree with to avoid an argument.
  • Has difficulty initiating projects or doing things on his or her own (because of a lack of self-confidence in judgment or abilities rather than a lack of motivation or energy)
I've had problems with past jobs because of this. I need so much advice that one of my last bosses said "I've had to hold your hand way to much"
  • Goes to excessive lengths to obtain nurturance and support from others, to the point of volunteering to do things that are unpleasant
Man I hate gardening, but I did it to be with my friends. My relatives will take advantage of this fact too.
  • Feels uncomfortable or helpless when alone because of exaggerated fears of being unable to care for himself or herself
That is how I feel now living independently. I have to be around people all the time to reassure me.
  • Urgently seeks another relationship as a source of care and support when a close relationship ends
This would be friendship, since I've never been in a romantic relationship, though I crave one.
  • Is unrealistically preoccupied with fears of being left to take care of himself or herself
I have fear now that I am on my own, but truthfully I would rather be on my own and comfortable with it.