View Single Post
Anonymous29319

Default Mar 09, 2006 at 04:06 AM

feel free to print this out.

I too share my posts and other posts here (and other on line support groups that I am a member of) with my therapist. In fact I tell my therapist what sites Im on and who I go by on them so that they can read the stuff anytime that professional wants.

What better way for therapists to know what their clients (in general and / or a specific client) goes through.

My last therapist and I would hold some of our sessions at the local library using the computers doing our research and therapy activities on line and sometimes I would check in to my on line support groups while she was with me. I always let those that were on line right then she was with me. Their reactions varied but most welcomed her and had her join right in the conversation.

as for taking care of the triggers. Thats actually pretty easy to do. Do you keep a daily journal? Well, its the same type of thing.

The first step is to start recognizing when you dissociate. My past therapist and I did this by keeping a journal - a regular notebook you can buy in a store for a dollor or less is fine. I carried that notebook with me. I also wore a watch. When ever I noticed I was doing something different like Im talking to someone and the next thing I know Im home watching tv but didn't know what happened in the middle. Thats called losing time. I would get my notebook and write down the date and time, and then what I was right then doing and the last thing I remembered doing before the time loss. The trigger is always something that happened right before the time loss. Keeping this "log" isn't going to make much sense to begin with, but as you keep doing the entries a "pattern" starts showing up - entries that have the same thing in common an object, person, situation and so on. That "pattern" (thing in common) is your trigger.

Once you know the trigger you can take care of it - for example if the "pattern" is that you dissociate every time you are in crowds. You and your therapist can now find ways to make you more comfortable when in crowds - it could be a relaxation technique or maybe carrying a small object for you to touch so you stay grounded (aware and calm). Then while not triggered you practice using those coping tools whenever the least thing upsets you or makes you uncomfortable. this will form a habit so that when you encounter that trigger - being in crowds you will automatically start using the new coping tools of relaxation or touching your grounding object.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote