View Single Post
Anonymous32723

Question Aug 02, 2011 at 02:15 PM

Hello everyone,

I don't usually post in this section, (I may have once or twice quite a while ago), but something is troubling me. Or perhaps the right thing to say is, something is not troubling me, and for that reason it somewhat troubles me.

I'll start by saying I have not been formerly diagnosed with schizoid personality disorder. I have been told by a few mental health professionals that I have schizoid personality disorder "tendencies" or "symptoms", but not the full-blown disorder. Here are my "tendencies" or "symptoms":

-I don't crave a romantic or sexual relationship at all (I label myself as an asexual)
-I am only close to a few select family members, no friendships
-I prefer to do things on my own, and typically only socialize when those select few family members ask me to (however, I do enjoy spending time with them)
-I enjoy few things, and also don't enjoy trying new things
-I tend to seem less emotional than others...it is harder for me to feel sympathy or empathy (for example, tragic news events don't affect me at all)

The reason for my post is...I realize that most people do enjoy friendships and relationships, socializing and different activities, and it seems to give them a more well-rounded life. My therapist has also suggested I should "get out there", so to speak. Part of me wonders if I should force myself to do these things...but a bigger part of me thinks I should just stay as I am and live life as I currently do.

Any responses would be appreciated, but I'd especially like to hear from anybody with SPD. Thank you for reading.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote