Still Alive

Member Since Apr 2010
72 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 25, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Donna View Post
I am on three different blood pressure medications. You have to trust your doctor on prescribing the right medication. Also, if you are overweight, you need to lose weight (easier said than done, working on it myself). Watch your diet and stress does make BP worse. One of my blood pressure meds actually reduces my panic attacks and helps me be able to control them better. The doctor only prescribed it after I had an EKG. Talk to your doctor about your concerns.
Hi, Donna. Yes, like you, I was stabilized on a three-med regime for about ten years (HCTZ, Lisinopril & Metaprolol). Then last winter things started getting out of hand and both systolic and diastolic kept going up and up. Finally, in July, my doc doubled the Metaprolol. That didn't work. So he threw in some clonidine (fourth drug). That works but it makes me tired. So this week he switched the Clonidine to Amlodipine and we'll see how that works. I'll also be taking a renal artery test to see if that's clogged up and needs a stent.

I'd prefer not having a stroke right now. It would be very inconvenient. But I didn't spend years with uncontrolled BP, we controlled it as soon as it raised its ugly head. Unfortunately, it's all what they call "idiopathic," i.e., they don't know the cause. I do need to lose 20 pounds. Which I can do. As for the stress, I've been trying mindfulness meditation. I don't know how long that takes to have an effect. Do you?

Ygrec23
Ygrec23 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote