View Single Post
Omers
Grand Magnate

Member Since Nov 2010
3,133 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 28, 2011 at 09:58 AM

Yes, My son has autism. However he is VERY high functioning and has no history of doing this before.
One example is from yesterday. We meet up with a couple of friends of mine about every other weekend for lunch. So we went to lunch and my son knows this place has ice cream. My son asked for ice cream and I explained that he was grounded for peeing in his room that morning so no ice cream. Trying to be respectful none of us had ice cream even though this places ice cream is better than their food. Typically my son would ask again to make sure I understood his request, be told no and then he would sit there with a scowl on his face. This time he started pushing for all he was worth trying to get something out... apparently he was empty but he gave it a good try.
Now, he IS spoiled but he is not a spoiled brat. I can't think of any toy he has ever asked for that he didn't get. He doesn't ask for much but when he does he has his money from his chores, he can do extra chores to earn it faster or if he is trying to save for it but can't get there he will get it for his birthday or Christmas. No means no in our house and always has. Negotiating after a no will get you sent to your room.

In contrast... Friday morning his alarm went off at 6am for school. He got up, got dressed in his uniform and brushed his teeth. He then got the dog up, put her outside and got her breakfast. He made his lunch without trying to sneak in any junk. He got a granola bar and yogurt for breakfast and a glass of juice. When he was done he cleaned up, let the dog in, packed up his book bag and went to the bus stop. All without a single word from mom who hadn't had enough caffeine yet. He is a 6th grader working on grade level, his room is typically spotless as is his bathroom and he does his own laundry.

Last night was filled with urksome behaviors... nothing dramatic but a bunch of those little things that push your buttons!

He is still working on getting enough "poop free" days to get his video game back but other than that we started the day with a clean slate. I asked if he wanted to be a responsible 12yr old and wear boxers or if he wanted a diaper. He picked boxers so we will see how it goes......

Wild eyed with fear
-Blackmoores Night
Omers is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
KathyM